Yellow Birthday Cake
Yellow Birthday Cake Recipe
A nice rich chocolate frosting will go really well with this cake!
4 large eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 pound unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened, each stick cut into 8 pieces
- Set oven rack in middle position. (If your oven is too small to cook both layers on a single rack, set racks in upper-middle and lower-middle positions and you'll stagger the pans on each layer) and heat to 350 degrees (325 with convection oven). Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with Baker's joy then line the bottoms with parchment or waxed paper rounds. Spray the paper rounds.
- Beat eggs, milk, and vanilla with fork in small bowl; measure out 1 cup of this mixture and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment; mix on lowest speed to blend, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running at lowest speed, add butter one piece at a time; mix until butter and flour begin to clump together and look sandy and pebbly, with pieces about the size of peas, 30 to 40 seconds after all butter is added.
- Add reserved 1 cup of egg mixture and mix at lowest speed until incorporated, 5 to 10 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high (setting 6 on Kitchen Aid) and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add remaining egg mixture (about 1/2 cup) in slow steady stream, about 30 seconds.
- Stop mixer and thoroughly scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Beat on medium-high until thoroughly combined and batter looks slightly curdled, about 15 seconds longer. If you are going to use a hand mixer, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl then cut in the flour mixture with a pastry blender. Add the reserved 1 cup of egg mixture; beat with hand mixer at lowest speed until incorporated, about 20 to 30 seconds. Increase speed to high, add remaining egg mixture, and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Stop mixer and thoroughly scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Beat at high speed 15 seconds longer.
- Divide the cake batter equally between prepared cake pans; spread to sides of pan and smooth with rubber spatula. Bake until cake tops are light golden and skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. If you see that the cakes have formed a mound in the middle, don't fret, they will flatten once they cool.
- Cool on rack 10 minutes. To facilitate removal from the pan you may have to run a knife around pan perimeter to loosen. Invert cake onto large plate and re-invert onto lightly greased rack. Cool completely before icing or the cake will tear and crumb into the frosting.
Birthday Cake Central http://birthday-cake-central.com